Monday, March 12, 2007

So Funny It's Scary ii

Many performers are stupid, but we are not. We’re college grads from one of those prestigious institutes in New England that people outside of New England make fun of. On top of that we’ve got oodles of random life experience packed into the past few years of touring. On any given day we might have to change a tire, write a gag for William Shatner, or find the most vegetarian friendly restaurant in London, Ontario (which, by the way, is called Barakat – try the garlic yogurt). Plus it takes brains to drive 1,000 miles in one day and then be funny AND somehow be wearing unwrinkled clothing. Our friends who have become doctors and lawyers have never had it so rough. Financially.

So when the lights in our hotel room starting going off and on by themselves, we certainly thought to flick the switch on and off. We even unscrewed the bulbs halfway. And we continued to be haunted.

Zach: “Just close the bathroom door.”
Me: “No!”
Zach: “Why not? Because you’re scared?”

A long pause followed, in which I weighed my desire to preserve my manliness with my desire to preserve my life from the attack of a ghost.

Me: “Yes. Very.”

I called the front desk, hoping for some reassurance, but when I asked if this kind of thing was normal in an old hotel, all the attendant said was “Oh my god!” and “No way.”

No comments: