Monday, March 12, 2007

100 Miles in 6 Hours, iii

I ended up driving a rental car back from Nashville to pick up Seth and Zach, who passed their time at the gas station in a semi comatose state taking turns in front of a space heater they came to call “Polonius.” I don’t know what happened there in Horse Cave, but I do know that they really didn’t want to leave "him" when I finally did show up.

Having gone in the tow truck with Red Calf and J. to Nashville, I had to make the 100 mile return trip back to Horse Cave to get the guys at the end of a long day that had already sucked more than a name without a story. It took me 6 hours. I spent most of that time far from the company of Polonius and stuck in my tracks in two separate, gridlocked traffic jams caused by an inch of snow, roughly the same amount New England has had in total this winter. It would be more accurate to say the jams were caused by the inability of Kentuckians to drive through that inch, but I don’t want to point fingers.

Six solo hours in a traffic jam at the end of a day already full of time consuming automotive mishaps was more than I could handle, and I went mad. I felt bad doing so, knowing that no matter how bad is was for me, I was probably more alive than the people in the cars that were blocking the road.

No comments: