Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pushing the Limits of Refrigeration



Clearly, the above photo portrays a new twist on an ancient method of food preservation. FYI, it's a sandwich on the roof of a car.

I had made said sandwich in Plymouth, Michigan with materials I bought in Kalamazoo, but on the way to Pittsburgh we were passing through Cleveland, where we never pass up an opportunity to eat at the Peking Gourmet.

“If only there were some way to save my sandwich for later so that I could eat Chinese food now,” I thought. As the expression goes, tofu in the hand is worth turkey on the airplane.

I got the idea to keep the sandwich cold when I noticed that outside it was cold. And what better place to keep food fresh than the luggage rack of a Dodge Grand Caravan while barreling down I-275, I-75, I-280, I-80, I-76, I-79 and then I-279? I figured the buffeting winds and smattering of rain would only help lock in freshness. It also made me feel popular, because everywhere we went, people stopped and shouted: “Hey! (There’s something on your roof.)”

In the end, the sandwich stayed cool and dry, and Seth owed me a cool, dry dollar for his skepticism. Who needs refrigerators when you’ve got wind, rain, highways, and friends?

1 comment:

Jocelyn M. Berger said...

Aw, shucks, y'all were in Cleveland and I wasn't there to show you some good ol' hospitality. Hope to catch you another time.