Friday, November 23, 2007

The Seth and the Darkness

Two audience members came up to me after a recent show and said that they'd seen us before. When they told me which show they had been to, I almost dropped the “Hi, I’m Seth” shirt I was folding.

I asked if there was a particular moment that had stood out for them at their virgin LNP experience. They looked at each other gravely, then turned to me and said in unison: “The Darkness.”

And yes, they said it with a capital “d.”

It all happened at a high school in an affluent suburb of Boston. I won't say which, but let's just say that there's a fig named after it. Seth and I were on stage leading an audience participation piece. The young woman with whom Seth was bantering said, from her seat in the audience, “I like your shirt!” Seth, squinting in the bright light and unable to see into the dimly lit house, responded with the following:

“Thanks, I like your… darkness.”

Seth squinted harder and discovered, to his horror, that he had addressed the single black student in the crowd.

2 comments:

pc said...

I think the suicide bit may be going "too far." Seth is seriously so racist though, I don't know how you guys put up with him.

Aaron Kagan said...

Really, too far? I thought it might be. If you agree I think I'll cut it. What do you say?